About Raj Bhavan
The Raj Bhavan was originally designed and constructed for accommodation of the Superintendent of the Lushai Hills. It was renamed as the ‘Raj Niwas’ and is now called the ‘Raj Bhavan’.
The original structure was designed by the wife of Major J Shakespear, the first Superintendent of the Lushai Hills District in the year 1898. The original house was of the usual jungle timber and bamboos type used in these areas for construction, and stood at the south end of the present one. The house had just been completed when Major J Shakespear proceeded on leave to England in 1899. To keep the cost at a bare minimum, he had the roof made up of bamboo shingles, which necessitated a plain roof with one slope from ridge to caves.